|Displacement||70.7 cc (4.3 cu. in.)|
|Horse Power||5.4 bhp (4.0 kw)|
|Weight||Powerhead: 14.8 lb. (6.7 kg)|
|Bar Length Options||16 in. to 32 in. (40 to 80 cm)|
All the features of the MS 440 STIHL Magnum® chain saw, with a wrap-around handle (R).
The MS 440 STIHL Magnum® is a big saw for big jobs. Add the wrap-around handle feature, and it makes the cutting potential that much bigger. The MS 440 R allows the chain saw to be used in all positions for felling and limbing with the right hand, increasing the operator’s productivity level – and comfort level. Specially suited for professional logging operations and land clearing or tree service work, it sports a high power-to-weight ratio – with a 17% increase in engine power over the MS 362. With a decompression valve which helps provide fast, easy starts, the MS 440 R is ready for a full day’s work every day. (Wrap-handle version is available in select areas only.)
- STIHL Quickstop® Plus (Q) - an additional chain braking feature: STIHL offers an additional, manually-activated chain brake on some models. This system is designed to engage when the operator’s right hand completely releases the rear handle, stopping the chain within one second. Available on some models.
- STIHL Quickstop®: STIHL chain saws are equipped with a chain stopping system designed to reduce the risk of injury in certain kickback situations. It is called a STIHL Quickstop® chain brake. The STIHL Quickstop® chain brake is designed to stop the rotation of the chain if activated by the operator’s hand or by inertia if the saw kicks back with sufficient force. In some working positions, the STIHL Quickstop® chain brake can be activated by inertia, stopping the chain within fractions of a second.
- Anti-Vibration System: STIHL has developed a system for minimizing the vibration levels of handheld outdoor power equipment. The STIHL anti-vibration system helps reduce operator fatigue and provides a more comfortable working experience.
- STIHL ElastoStart™: The ElastoStart™ starter handle is an exclusive feature of STIHL. It is a starting grip with a built-in shock absorber that helps reduce the effort when pulling on the starter cord. The ElastoStart™ starter grip noticeably reduces the sudden peak forces (compression) normally felt during cranking. The forces which occur at the grip after the first compression stroke are smoothed out.
- Decompression Valve: The decompression valve, also referred to as 'deco' or 'deco valve', vents compression in the cylinder for easier starting. The decompression valve temporarily reduces the compression in the combustion chamber during cranking and helps reduce the effort needed to pull the starter rope. It is opened manually and closes automatically as soon as the engine fires.
- IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor: The IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor is designed to automatically adjust the air/fuel ratio when the air filter becomes restricted or partially clogged and maintains the engine’s correct RPM. IntelliCarb™ uses air from the clean side of the air filter to control the diaphragm and flow of fuel. As the air filter becomes dirty and less air is available for the carburetor, the IntelliCarb™ system adjusts the fuel flow to compensate for the decrease in air flow. This is in contrast to typical carburetors that utilize this air from the “dirty” side of the air box.
- Winter/Summer Shutter: The Winter/Summer Shutter allows the carburetor to operate at optimum temperature year-round and helps to prevent carburetor icing when working below 50°F (10°C).
- Ematic™ Lubrication System: The Ematic™ guide bar when used with STIHL OILOMATIC® saw chain will provide proper lubrication and less oil consumption than conventional methods. The system works because two ramps, strategically placed in the guide bar rail, help contain the flow of oil and direct all lubrication to the sliding faces of the bar and chain links as well as the rivets and driver holes, which in turn can reduce bar oil consumption up to 50%.
- Side-Access Chain Tensioner: The side-access chain tensioner makes it much more convenient for the user to adjust the saw chain with a bar wrench as opposed to the typical location of the guide bar adjustment screw.
- Master Control Lever™: The Master Control Lever™ is an easy to use single lever, operating the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch. The operator must pull the throttle trigger before moving the Master Control Lever™ to the choke position.
- Adjustable Automatic Oiler: The Adjustable Automatic Oiler allows the user to adjust the lubricant of the guide bar and saw chain for different bar lengths and cutting conditions.
- Wrap Handle (R): The wrap-around handle allows the saw to be used in all positions for felling and limbing with the right hand.
- Displacement: 70.7 cc (4.3 cu.in.)
- Engine Power: 4.0 kW (5.4 bhp)
- Powerhead Weight: 6.7 kg (14.8 lb.)
- Guide Bar Lengths (Recommended ranges): 40 to 80 cm (16 in. to 32 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 780 cc (26.4 oz.)
- Chain Oil Capacity: 275 cc (9.3 oz.)
- OILOMATIC® Chain: 3/8 in. RS3
STIHL recommends #3624 (33 RS3 72) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 20" 3003 008 8921 Ematic™ guide bar combination. The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length depending upon which power head it is installed.